At the meeting of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Chaired by its Chairman; His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria and attended by Member States in Abuja over coup in Niger Republic, the following sanctions were read out against the coup plotters:
- Closure of Land and air borders between ECOWAS and Niger.
- Institution of ECOWAS no flight zone to all commercial flights to and fro Niger.
- Suspension of all commercial and financial transactions between ECOWAS member states and Niger.
- Freeze all service transactions including energy transactions.
- Freeze assets of Niger Republic in all ECOWAS Central banks.
- Freeze all Niger State and the state enterprises and parastatals in commercial banks.
- Suspension of Niger from all financial assistance and transactions with all financial institutions.
- Impose travel bans on the military officials and their families involved in the coup attempt including anyone who accepts to take a position in the military government
List of Presidents in attendance were: President Macky Sall of Senegal; President Umaru Mokhtar Sissoco of Guinea Bissau; President, ECOWAS Commission, Omar Alieu Touray; President Adama Barrow of The Gambia; President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria; President Patrice Talon of Benin Republic; President Faure Gnassingbe of Togo; President Nana Akofo-Ado of Ghana, and President Alassane Quattara of Cote d’Ivoire.
The emergency Summit which was summoned by President Tinubu in his capacity as the chairman of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS, held in Abuja on Sunday, July 30, 2023.