…alerts security agents over breakdown of law, order
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE STATE CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS, AKWA IBOM STATE COUNCIL ON TUESDAY, MAY 23, 2023, AT THE PRESS CENTRE, INFORMATION DRIVE, UYO.
The following resolutions were reached at congress:
- On the re-mapping of the State, Congress called on the State Government to carry out a robust sensitisation of what the exercise seeks to achieve and the benefits to the State or stop it at the moment until it has secured the buy-in of the citizens, as this will clear the suspicion in some quarters that it is not intended to dispose oil-bearing communities of their land.
- Congress urged security agencies to step-up their operations in the communities that have expressed strong reservations against the re-mapping exercise to avoid breakdown of law and order.
- Similarly, Congress called on the Akwa Ibom State Police Command and other security agencies in the State to step up their surveillance along Ikpa Road, Urua Ekpa Road, Obio Etoi and other communities within Uyo metropolis as hoodlums have consistently attacked residents and commuters using tricycles and mini buses, disposessing them of their valuables in the process.
- While commending the State Government for the award of contract for the construction of Ikot Oku Ikono-Obio Ibiono-Ikot Ada Idem Road, as well as the drainage project along Urua Ekpa Road, and other life-touching projects across the State, Congress urged the in-coming administration to ensure timely completion of the projects.
- Congress commended the Zone F leadership of the Union for honouring two prominent members of the Akwa Ibom State Executive Council – Mr. Moses Ekpo MFR, Deputy Governor and Comrade Ini Ememobong, MNIPR, Commissioner for Information and Strategy – during its Zonal meeting in Uyo, last weekend.
- In the same spirit, Congress appreciated the outgoing Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel for the tremendous strides he has recorded in his tenure, including the construction of Information Drive and adjourning streets as well as regular interaction with the Union.
- Congress thanked Pst. Umo Eno, Governor-elect for redeeming the N500,000 prize attached to the Award for Development Journalism to a member of the Union during the 2022 NUJ Press Week.
8.Congress at a Special Valedictory Session commended the Honourable Commissioner for Information & Strategy, Comrade Ini Ememobong, MNIPR for his sterling performance, accessibility, and promoting a robust relationship between Government and Journalists as well as creating a strong support system for Staff of the Ministry of Information and other media organisations in the State.
Comrade Mabel Ekanem
Chairman, Communique Drafting Committee
Comrade Emmanuel Silas
Secretary, Communique Drafting Committee
Comrade Mary Ekere
Member, Communique Drafting Committee
Comrade Amos Etuk
State Chairman, NUJ
Comrade Dominic Akpan
State Secretary, NUJ